Saturday, February 28, 2009

CROPs training

February 28, 2009
So starting last Saturday I have started going to organic farming classes in Lincoln. So the two sessions so far have been interesting and invigorating. Not a lot of new information but still enjoyable. I can’t wait to start seeds soon. There is definately something very therapeutic about watching plants sprout and grow when it is still winter. Tips I learned this week..
1. For those tomatoes I have trouble with pick them when they are not quite ripe so that they will not cat-face.
2.Try to get early spring items planted the first week of April because they love the snow cover.
3. It takes 7 generations to stabilize a hybrid.
4. Only use your seed mat until germination; not needed through emergence.
5. Hybrids tend to fruit all at once…here I hated them and now I must admit they do have a purpose besides ruining our seed heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment